Monday, September 7, 2015

Letter Two - Archie to Emil

     Uncle Emil,

     We just marched in from our first bivouac.  Can't say it was all that much fun.  Not that it was a misery.  More that we didn't do anything worth doing.  Hiked around a bit, ate food out of green cans and slept on the ground.  Never thought to bring a fishing pole.  Didn't matter, the only water we saw was in our canteens.
     Turns out our cycle is going to be cut a week short because of Christmas.  Then we'll be sent home on leave before heading to advanced training.  Can't say I mind that at all but it makes me wonder if the Army actually gives a damn about the war in Vietnam.  Could be I'm wrong but I doubt training was shut down for a couple of weeks over the holidays during WWII.  Somehow it seems like even the drill sergeants want life to be normal.  Also go to bed each night being thankful they're not the suckers over in Southeast Asia being shot at.
     Only two weeks to go.  We chant about our time left each time we march anywhere.  What we don't chant is how much time till we head wherever it is we're heading.  If the rest of the trainees are like me they don't give much thought to the future.  And if they do, that future doesn't involve ending up in a body bag.  About all I worry about is getting through each day with as little misery as possible.  A little short-sighted but the long view shows thunderheads on the horizon.  Reminds me of the storm we weathered on the unnamed lake in Manitoba.  Not sure where this storm's heading but it doesn't look good.  However, there's plenty of time to dwell on that when the time comes.
     I'd write more often but my mind and pen are usually elsewhere.  Lauren sends me letters nearly every day and I try to do the same for her.  When my thoughts turn homeward, most of them are on her.  Our letters are as close as we can come to conversation and conversation's about all we have at the moment.  When I wrote earlier about being at the end of a dead end road it was her ultimatum that finally put me there.  Said she wouldn't see me till the end of fall semester (I wasn't registered) and I'd squared myself with my family (that's a long story I don't want to get into).  So there I was, no school, no relationship with Lauren, not registered for the draft, out of money, no future that I could see.  Turned out the draft was my lifeline.  Hah, sure didn't see that coming.
     And now, here I sit on my bunk, learning to be a trained monkey just like you said.  There's a whole universe of humor in that.  Oh well, maybe it'll all work out and I'll end up in Hawaii keeping the beaches safe for vacationers.  Could say I'm depressed but I'm not.  Just floating along, full to bursting with loss.  Two years seems like forever.  Throw in the possibility of going to war and it's … guess I don't know what it is.  And don't want to think about it.

     Archie 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment